Love is a Christian word, Anjin-san. Love is a Christian thought, a Christian ideal. We have no word for 'love' as I understand you to mean it. Duty, loyalty, honor, respect, desire, those words and thoughts are what we have, all that we need.
- JAMES CLAVELL, Shogun (Canada, USA, Europe)
I'm approaching the halfway point of Clavell's masterpiece and this novel is absolutely awesome! Engrossing and irresistible, Shogun is impossible to put down!

I work in Japan and loved Shogun as well. Great insight into Japanese thought, though obviously not all of it is prevalent today.
ReplyDeleteI read this book for the first time when I was 12, nearly 20 years later I still consider it one of the best novels I have ever read.
ReplyDeleteIt's fate, I'm about half through my re-read of Storm of Swords, and I was eyeing Shogun.
ReplyDeleteI've been twice to Japan, love the country, so, this is now a must read.
Thanks pat! :)
Keyoke
I actually enjoyed Tai-Pan more, there were some slower parts in Sho-Gun. Do not bother with the other books in the series.
ReplyDeleteTai-Pan and Noble House next, in that order.
ReplyDeleteGreat saga
Can't wait for this review Pat. I was introduced Shogun when I was 14 by my father. As someone said above, I still consider it one of the best novels I've read. Especially years later, now that I can appreciate exactly how impressive it was.
ReplyDeletehttp://specfictionblog.blogspot.com.au/
I had the impression love featured in their classic art, albeit maybe in a disparaged form, as this quote might indicate, although this would still seem like an historically inauthentic rationalization.
ReplyDeleteSurprised you haven't read this yet. Also am I the only one that thought the movie The Last Samurai borrowed from Shogun?
ReplyDelete