Mini Reviews


Hi there,

Things are slowly getting back on track and I'm hoping to resume reviewing regularly in 2022. Meanwhile, here are a few mini reviews! =)

- The Wisdom of Crowds by Joe Abercrombie (Canada, USA, Europe) 8.5/10

I wasn't sure at certain points in the middle, but I sure loved how it ended!

Quite happy to see that Abercrombie still has plans for the future of the First Law universe. This last trilogy had its ups and downs, yet for me it ended on a high note. A bit too high-handed with the social commentary at times and a bit overdone with Judge's cruelty and the Great Change in general. But all in all, a great conclusion to another fine trilogy. As always, Abercrombie played us good, with many unexpected twists and turns involving basically all the protagonists.

The identity of the Weaver sort of became obvious, but I liked the way it was unveiled. The revelation that one of the characters was an Eater took too long, in my opinion. There have been several hints in previous installments, yet there's no denying that the scene was powerful.

I heard that Abercrombie isn't sure whether or not to write standalones or another series next. Personally, I think he excels more at writing self-contained novels than trilogies. So I'd prefer for him to go down that road. Rikke's visions imply that industrialisation will continue to change the lives of everyone and it will be interesting to see how magic will be influenced by this evolution. Bayaz is preparing his next move, which means that the proverbial shit will hit the fan once again.

Whatever he decides to do, I'll be eagerly awaiting what comes next!


- The Godfather by Mario Puzzo (Canada, USA, Europe) 8.5/10

Like most people, I've seen the movie more than once. But I had never read the book.

I'm not sure why, but during my hiking trip last September something made me want to read the novel. So I ordered it and went through it in three sittings.

I loved all the mafia stuff in New York City, the flashbacks, Michael's exile in Sicily and his return, and the brilliance of Don Vito Corleone. I know that the author needed to set up the move out to Las Vegas, but the whole vaginal surgery thing and most of what comprised the Nevada/Los Angeles plotlines were decidedly subpar and often silly compared to the awesomeness of the rest of the story.

If, like me, you have never given the novel a shot, I urge to do so if you're looking for a page-turner. It's only £2.99 in the UK through the link above.


- The Green Mile by Stephen King (Canada, USA, Europe) 9/10

Again, I saw the movie when it came out, but had never read the book.

You have probably figured out that I've been trying to make up for lost time regarding Stephen King's works and The Green Mile was near the top of my list.

Paul Edgecombe was the perfect narrator, both in the present timeline as an old man in a senior home and in the past as one of the prison guards working in the E Block of Cold Mountain Penitentiary. He watches over convicted killers awaiting their turn to sit on the electric chair. His life and that of everyone else on E Block will change forever when John Coffey, a giant black man with the mind of a child found guilty of the rape and murder of two little girls, is sent to Cold Mountain to walk the green mile.

Readers often complain that King seems to make up stuff as he goes along and that his endings are not always satisfying. Not so with The Green Mile. The novel is perfectly paced and King brings this one to a great finish. The characterization is incredibly well done and this is doubtless one of the most touching works King has ever written.

If you haven't read it, this one is an amazing read!

0 commentaires: