Another milestone: 600th review!


I'm in the middle of a roadtrip around the stunning Gaspésie peninsula (ranked one of the most beautiful coastal roadtrips by the likes of Lonely Planet and National Geographic) and I was aware that I'd reach this milestone at some point this summer. Just counted them for good measure, and I realized that the next one I post will be my 600th review!

Can't quite believe it, to tell you the truth. Then again, if you'd told me back in 2005 that I'd still be active in 2018, I would have said you're crazy! Thirteen years of reviewing speculative fiction works! Who would have thought!?! Not me, that's for damn sure!

As I mentioned in a similar post a few years back, it's been a long journey and somewhat of a bumpy ride at times. And yet, it's been fun for the most part. In the last decade or so, I've met some of my favorite authors in person and got to interact with plenty of others, many of them on a semi-regular basis. It's obvious that the Hotlist grew into something that I could never quite envision when I created this humble little blog of mine. And I can't believe that thousands of SFF fans keep on returning to read the drivel that I post, week in and week out.

Once again, let me take this opportunity to thank you all for making this the enjoyable experience it has been since January 2005. God knows it wouldn't be this much fun without an audience. Thank you to all the authors, editors, publicists, marketing directors, agents, and everyone else involved in publishing for helping make the Hotlist what it has become. Thank you to my fellow SFF bloggers, whether they like me or not. Thank you to the online SFF community for being there at the beginning and for sticking around afterward. Basically, many thanks to everyone who has been there along the way. Because without you all, there would be no Pat's Fantasy Hotlist. The world wouldn't be a poorer place without it, at least according to the haters I've garnered over the years, but what the heck!?! :P

I have no idea how long I'll keep doing this, but it's safe to say that I probably don't have another 600 reviews ahead of me. Looking back, it's hard to believe that I got this far. Still, it will be interesting to see how much gas I have left in the tank. . .

I owe you all a debt of gratitude that I can never repay. All I can do is keep writing honest reviews and help steer you toward good novels and, hopefully, away from the bad ones.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you! =)

All the best,

Patrick

3 commentaires:

Jon R. said...

Thanks Pat. I've been reading your reviews for close to 10 years and while other sites have come and gone, I've never been disappointed with your content. Largely through your site I've been introduced to Abercrombie and Lawrence, two of my favorites, among others, and purchased countless $3 e-books. The bumps in the road have even been entertaining from my safe vantage point. Keep up the good work.

DontDriveAngry said...

Congratulations on the milestone! I may not always agree with your overall rating or opinion on a particular book, but your approach and analysis is usually well done and presented in a way that provides good information that allows me to make a more informed decision in choosing my next read. For one recent example, don't know if I would've read Spoonbenders without your recommendation and I'm particularly grateful for that. Keep up the great work!

TheAmazingButtcrack said...

Been here since the first year, I think. Congrats on the milestone and keep up the good work!

Long live the Hotlist!