Calling on all self-published/indie speculative fiction writers: Update


A lot of people have messaged me to ask me whatever happened with the self-published SFF work I was supposed to read and review last spring. Well, nothing happened. . .

After getting in touch with the winner a couple of times prior to my trip to Ukraine last year, I tried once again during summer. When readers got in touch with me asking when the review would go up, I tried to contact another author whose work had piqued my curiosity. Again, no reply. I tried one last time around September, again with no luck.

I had totally forgotten about this until someone emailed me about it last week. So I just wanted to give you guys a little update to let you know that things have apparently gone down the crapper regarding this. . .

10 commentaires:

Madness said...

That's too bad for that writer, Pat. Thanks very much for trying to do what you tried to do. I'd be honoured to one day appear on the Hotlist if I ever self-published.

Unknown said...

That is a shame, and a vital opportunity missed! I'd love to have you give my indie SF&F work a look. You can find them at www.jdbrinkfugitive.com

Roland said...

No wonder, since you were being such an asshole about it.
If you want to review it, just buy it and read it.

Unknown said...

That's insane....especially since I'm the guy paying to have his ad appear on your site....

Anonymous said...

Love your site but seriously pat! Just pay the 4 dollars (or whatever the price is) and read the book.

Patrick said...

Do you seriously think that I will fork out some dough for a self-published work from an unknown writer???? The deal was for them to supply a copy and the review would then be seen by thousands of potential readers. I'm not paying a penny when I'd be giving someone that kind of exposure...

Unknown said...

Pat, I didn't see your original post on your proposal, but I was just standing by for you to say if you'd give it a swing and what format you'd need it in. I am pretty much an "unknown writer" but have been professionally (not just self) published, a contest finalist in the international Writers of the Future contest, and my first degree is actually in writing (which is why I needed another one).

In other words, just because someone didn't get picked up by the Big 5 publishers doesn't mean they have nothing to offer readers. Give it a try, you might just like it.

Anonymous said...

it's obvious you wouldn't give it anything approaching a fair review. Wouldn't send you my work either if I was an indie writer

Unknown said...

As a self-pubbed author I am HORRIFIED that an author ignored a request for a review copy. That makes ZERO sense.

Anonymous said...

Let me help you with that Pat...
http://www.amazon.com/FLEDGE-Just-Junco-J-A-Huss-ebook/dp/B009D0U6LQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398120496&sr=8-1&keywords=j.+a.+huss+fledge
for $2.99

You can surely scrape together thirty seconds and three bucks to order and download it, given how much you've milked this...

Oh... yeah... remind me again... who are you and why should I give a rats ass?