I'm not watching Game of Thrones, Season 6


I have made a decision. I will not watch Game of Thrones, Season 6. At least not until I've read The Winds of Winter. Maybe never.

Two of my favorite authors, Frank Herbert and Robert Jordan, passed away before they could finish their signature series. The completion of the Dune saga was a travesty, and that of The Wheel of Time was decidedly subpar.

Season 5 of GoT was atrocious. The writing sucked (You need a good woman but a bad pussy), the pace was abominable, the decisions made by the production team now going their own way and no longer following the essence of the books were crap, and the actors doing what they could with inferior scripts turned what was doubtless the best show on television into a massive turd.

Hence, I don't want a crappy TV show to spoil the books for me. George R. R. Martin is still alive and writing, and I want my first exposure to the rest of the story to be from his vision of what it was always meant to be.

Of course, I'm aware that I likely can't avoid all the spoilers that will be everywhere. But I've unliked all GoT-related Facebook material and will stay away from FB every Sunday night and Monday morning. I'll stop visiting any GoT-related websites for the next few weeks and will do my best to protect myself from possible spoilers.

I've waited this long for The Winds of Winter. I can wait a little longer. . . =)

Sorry HBO. I'm out.

11 commentaires:

Mike McDonnell said...

I'm with you. Good post.

Anonymous said...

You're mad at HBO for the last season, by you're fine with GRRM writing two subpar books? Martin hasn't written anything worth reading since A Storm of Swords, and he still takes forever to churn them out. I think I'll stick with the show and take a pass on Winds of Winter -- if it ever does come out.

Anonymous said...

s6 e1 was on par with your complaints about all of s5. you're not missing anything.

Anonymous said...

I agree on Dune and I resisted reading the post Jorden WoT books for years (after what happened with Dune) In the end I didnt find the post Jordan WoT books all that bad.

As for the GoT TV show, I stopped after the first episode of season 2. HBO is just not what it once was

Anonymous said...

Fine, that's your opinion. You could choose to enjoy them both. This just sounds like some elitist arrogant comment to me. Is it kissing up to GRRM? Well, he seems pleased with the series, so what's the point? Dance w/Dragons was pretty horrible too. Eventually I'll read Winds, probably wait and binge read all the last books once they come out, several years after the show has finished and enjoy GRRM's Westeros regardless of how the series plays out on TV.

Baptiste said...

I'm on the same boat. I'll be waiting to read it, I've been waiting long enough for it.

Fred said...

The question is; is Winds will be released at some point in the future or GRRM will stop right there since the TV show got priority?

Anonymous said...

I thought s5 was a much better experience than AFFC + ADWD, and was the second best season after s4.

Unknown said...

Well done pat iv been out since last year watched 4 eps of so5 and thay sucked ass the beauty fighting the hound eg. I allmost gave in the other night and watched last 6eos of GOT so 5 but so2 of hitman installed on me ps4 and i said away with it. like you i want to read TWOW cos that book is gona be the sheeat

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting this. I completely agree. Your point about Herbert and Jordan really hits home for me. While I'm not quite so down on the t.v. show as you are, I still want my first exposure to how it all ends to be from Martin's words. Amen.

Morrigan said...

I didn't watch S5 for the same reasons, and hearing all these negative opinions abou it from reliable folks, I'm glad I did.

Look at all the negative comments though. "You could choose to enjoy both" -- Pat already said he hated S5's writing. "Arrogant elitist" -- what, for not enjoying a TV show? LOL, how petty. "Feast/Dance was bad" -- It really wasn't, it wasn't as good as the first three, but it wasn't bad per se, certainly not bad the way the worst GoT episodes have been (and I say this as someone who didn't even watch S5).