Things that make you go hmmm...

The week it was relased, Terry Goodkind's latest installment of the Sword of Truth series, Chainfire, debuted at number 3 on the New York Times Bestseller List. The following week, it managed to remain in the Top 5 by dropping to number 5. And now, somehow Chainfire is still holding on at number 6. . .

No author has been more criticized in the last few years than Terry Goodkind, and that for multiple reasons. His capital offense has been to milk his popularity, squeezing as much juice as he can from his legions of fans, by putting out books that have little or nothing to do with the main storyline of the series. Stone of Tears, the series' second volume demonstrated that Goodkind appeared to possess an immense potential. It's a pity that he has never again lived up to what a lot of people saw in him. Every book he's released since has been a lackluster affair.

His tendency to preach, to impose his philosophical and political views throughout his novels, again and again and again, has put off a lot of people and antagonized hordes of others. Fans grew discontented with the Sword of Truth series, not without good reasons. The quality of his work has diminished in dramatic fashion, and it's shocking to see that although his popularity has been waning of late, his latest book scored so high on the NYT list. Of course, the schedule does help a lot, with no other big name releasing a fantasy novel at the same period of time. . .

After reading Faith of the Fallen, I simply chose to abandon Mr. Goodkind. I could not believe that someone could take advantage of his fans in such a manner. I bought the hardcover version of The Pillars of Creation for a mere 7$ during a liquidation sale. And from what I've heard from readers, I probably paid too much. But I wanted to keep the hardcover collection intact. . . I have not bought Naked Empire and have absolutely no intention to purchase Chainfire any time soon. Someone who so blatantly shows such disregard toward his fans doesn't deserve a single penny out of my pocket. As you can see from his latest book's position on the NYT list, my lack of contribution doesn't appear to hinder Mr. Goodkind's commercial success. If some people still wish to support him, regardless of the fact that he's taken advantage of them, so be it.

I've heard it said that Goodkind promised that the two next installments would complete The Sword of Truth series, which will weigh in at 11 books in total. In my opinion, that's about 6 books too much. . .

Let's see how he ends this thing. Perhaps, if we are lucky, he will again show just how much potential he does possess. I have never seen a series with so much promise fall so short. . . Let us hope that Goodkind can redeem himself by writing something that will live up to expectations. . .

3 commentaires:

Anonymous said...

Hi
On one hand I agree with you that not all the books in the series are as good. In some of them there are to little "content" (action/info..) considering their number of pages.
BUT... he (and most others) IS a commercial writer. He dosnt write ideologicly (sorry for the english..not my nr 1 language) for the local church. So of cource he wants to cache in on a winning concept.
So I cant agree that I can blame him for taking advantage of me. After each book I have bought/read, its my descion to buy or not to buy the next one, and I do it by evaluating the book after how I feel about the story/quality - not because I feel cheated.
After the last one he´s hanging on the edge.

Even though I on this case dont agree with you, I must take this opportunity to thank you for a great site with lots of interesting book information.

Regards//Roger

Patrick said...

Hi Roger!
Thanks for the kind words concerning the blog!:-)

And just so you know, you never have to agree with me!;-)

Patrick

Anonymous said...

well i shall say that it depends on what you think of the books. i must say Wizard's First Rule and Stone Of Tears where just awesome. I found the two or three after not so good, but after that you can see it how you will. It totally depends if you, like me, enjoyed Faith of the Fallen, or not. If you didnt it clearly went downhill after the second installment. If you did, you realise that, as with other authors, there are better and not so good books. Obviously, I personally found Pillars of Creation and Naked Empire hauntingly bad and I wish I had never purchased these in hardcover but maybe just have waited for it to become available in the library, but i think that Chainfire is better than those before, and is a way up the hill again. Which again is a matter of seeing it. Seeing that Goodkind does use a lot of his philosophy and morales in his books, there will always be people disliking one or the other. In fact, I know people who thought that Pillars Of Creation was actually his best. Although I disagree on this viewpoint with them, they must have clearly had their reasons. At least he, unlike Jordan, who by the way, after book 5 deteriorated in quality as well (and the only after that is quite acceptable is book 9), knows yet how many books there will be in the series (Jordan has said that there are 2 more to come ever since he finished writing Lord of Chous, installment number six).
Also I think that many authors are using their success to some advantage, but that is just natural. Some do come back to write better books again, some dont. As easy as that, and when an author, IMO has had 4 bad books in a row, thats me done with him (the fact that there was a max of 3 was the only reason why I actually kept reading some that did at some point actually produce good novels.