Iain Banks dying of cancer. . .


OMG, this is so, so sad. . .

According to his personal statement, Iain Banks only has a few months to live. . . =( Here's an extract:

I am officially Very Poorly.

After a couple of surgical procedures, I am gradually recovering from jaundice caused by a blocked bile duct, but that – it turns out – is the least of my problems.

I first thought something might be wrong when I developed a sore back in late January, but put this down to the fact I’d started writing at the beginning of the month and so was crouched over a keyboard all day. When it hadn’t gone away by mid February, I went to my GP, who spotted that I had jaundice. Blood tests, an ultrasound scan and then a CT scan revealed the full extent of the grisly truth by the start of March.

I have cancer. It started in my gall bladder, has infected both lobes of my liver and probably also my pancreas and some lymph nodes, plus one tumour is massed around a group of major blood vessels in the same volume, effectively ruling out any chance of surgery to remove the tumours either in the short or long term.

The bottom line, now, I’m afraid, is that as a late stage gall bladder cancer patient, I’m expected to live for ‘several months’ and it’s extremely unlikely I’ll live beyond a year. So it looks like my latest novel, The Quarry, will be my last.

Follow this link to read the full story. That new website was set up so family and fans can leave messages for the author and check on his progress.

5 commentaires:

Anonymous said...

Why the smiley face?

Patrick said...

It's not smiling...

Ash said...

Terrible news - I've only read a few of his books but I really enjoyed them.

Anonymous said...

It's a goddamned shame. I mean seriously, first Pratchett, now Banks? DISLIKE.

I_Sell_Books

Lost Prince said...

He's one of my favorite writers. Truly sad for him :'(