Fragile Things

Honestly, I didn't know what to expect from this book. Short stories are not a form of literature with which I'm very familiar. So when I heard that Fragile Things was a collection of short stories, it sort of dampened my enthusiasm for Gaiman's newest release. After all, my copy of Smoke and Mirrors has been sitting there for a few years, unread. Well, that may change very soon!

Generally, works of epic proportions scratch my hitch. Hence, I was wondering if I could possibly get into Fragile Things. I'm happy to report that I thoroughly enjoyed it. A lot more than I ever thought I would. Neil Gaiman is a master storyteller, and his short fiction pieces are no less impressive than his novel-length works.

The only thing I could have done without is Gaiman's poetry. But then again, I could do without anyone's poetry. So it's not as though Neil Gaiman's poetry is worst than any other poetry. . .

Fragile Things is comprised of over 30 poems, short stories and one novella. Each tale demonstrates just how fertile Gaiman's imagination is. As always, the prose is impeccable. His narrative is evocative, plunging the reader into worlds with colorful imagery.

My favorite short stories include A Study in Emerald, Closing Time, Bitter Grounds, Keepsakes and Treasures, How do you think it feels?, Goliath and The Monarch of the Glen.

Fragile Things makes for a wonderful reading experience. Anyone who admires Neil Gaiman will not disappointed by this short story collection. And for newcomers, this could be an excellent starting point to discover the depths of the author's talent and imagination.

The final verdict: 8/10

For more info about this book: Canada, USA, Europe

1 commentaires:

Anonymous said...

I adored Sandman. Reading your post makes me wonder (not for the first time) why I haven't read any of his novels or short fiction. (smacking self upside head)

His short fiction's probably a good place to start, since Sandman had a lot of his short fiction (just in graphic form). Thanks for the smack over the head. ;-)