Final cover art for Daniel Abraham's THE DRAGON'S PATH


From Orbitbooks.net:

This is the final cover art for Daniel Abraham's The Dragon's Path (Canada, USA, Europe). I think it's much better than the one which was released a few weeks ago.

Looking forward to this one!

Here's the blurb:

Summer is the season of war in the Free Cities.

Marcus wants to get out before the fighting starts. His hero days are behind him and simple caravan duty is better than getting pressed into service by the local gentry. Even a small war can get you killed. But a captain needs men to lead — and his have been summarily arrested and recruited for their swords.

Cithrin has a job to do — move the wealth of a nation across a war zone. An orphan raised by the bank, she is their last hope of keeping the bank’s wealth out of the hands of the invaders. But she’s just a girl and knows little of caravans, war, and danger. She knows money and she knows secrets, but will that be enough to save her in the coming months?

Geder, the only son of a noble house is more interested in philosophy than swordplay. He is a poor excuse for a soldier and little more than a pawn in these games of war. But not even he knows what he will become of the fires of battle. Hero or villain? Small men have achieved greater things and Geder is no small man.

Falling pebbles can start a landslide. What should have been a small summer spat between gentlemen is spiraling out of control. Dark forces are at work, fanning the flames that will sweep the entire region onto The Dragon’s Path — the path of war
.

6 commentaires:

Ted Cross said...

Cover is a bit dull, but I've seen much worse lately. The blurb leaves me not knowing whether the story itself will be decent or not. It reads like one of my early attempts at a query letter!

Anonymous said...

Has anyone else noticed how utterly generic and boring blurbs seem to be lately?

Two or three paragraphs describing the main characters in humdrum details, then a final one about how 'epic' the story will be.

This one is no different. If I didn't know who Daniel Abraham was there's no way I'd even finish reading that blurb, let alone buy the book.

There's no sense of adventure or mystery or magic or hell, even fantasy, there anymore.

:shrugs:

Maybe it's always been like this and I'm just noticing it more. All I know is if this kind of blurb was on the back of say... The Eye of the World paperback I scanned over way back when, there's no chance I would have picked it up. Sure, I would have saved hundreds of dollars over the years, but I would have also missed out on one great story.

Idk, I guess I'll just have to work harder and not "judge a book by it's blurb".

Sorry for the rant Pat. ;)

Casey said...

The cover is an improvement over the in-progress design, but the sword still looks like a mass produced stainless steel POS sold at your generic "Oriental World" mall-shop. Luckily I'm sold on Abraham anyway, so I'll buy. It's the words inside that matter not the cover nor the blurb.

Dan Smyth said...

Cover does absolutely nothing for me. If anything, it reminds me of the cover for The Dark/Cold Commands, which I didn't much care for either. It's probably the slumped-over horse rider in the background that's doing it...

Anyhow, it would have been nice to see Orbit do something great with this cover, but oh well. I'm still going to buy it because Abraham rocks the house.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a by the numbers GRRM-clone series but probably not as good.

The Count said...

Take out the sword, apply come "cool" filter, and fix the font.

Clearly trying to cater to "literary" fantasy readers; just makes it look a little self-inflated and boring.

Wish they'd do something balls-to-the-wall insanely awesome so Abraham might start to get the sales he deserves.