News update


A little over a week ago, as I was trying to make sense of what I had on tap, I told you guys that I had a lot of marbles up in the air. Now that the smoke has cleared somewhat, I have a better idea of what you can expect to see on the Hotlist in the coming weeks.

I finished Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon last night, so a book review will follow in a day or two. I'm now about 100 pages into David Louis Edelman's MultiReal, and the sequel is as good as Infoquake thus far.

As far as interviews are concerned, you can expect to see Q&As with Chris Evans, author of A Darkness Forged In Fire (Canada, USA, Europe), with Melinda Snodgrass, author of The Edge of Reason (Canada, USA, Europe), with David Louis Edelman as soon as I'm done with MultiReal, and with Joe Abercrombie, to promote the US release of Last Argument of Kings. I might also try to put something together with Ekaterina Sedia, but it's all a question of timing.

In addition to the giveaways that were announced in the "This and that" post, I do have a lot of goodies for you! First and foremost, I will have prize packs consisting of about 10 different books each up for grabs, both from Solaris and Orbit. Stay tuned for that!

I will have a signed first edition hardback copy of Peter F. Hamilton's The Temporal Void (Canada, USA, Europe) for you to win. I will have three copies of the UK edition of Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel's Justice (Canada, USA, Europe), as well as three copies of the US edition of Joe Abercrombie's Last Argument of Kings (Canada, USA, Europe). As always, there is more to come in the contest department!:-)

I will likely be unveiling a new feature in the next couple of days. I don't want to expose the whole thing at the moment because there are a few kinks to iron out, but this new feature is based on many readers' suggestions. So I went around and asked authors and editors if they were interested, and things are progressing nicely at the moment. See, even if I don't have time to respond to all your messages, I do read everything that comes my way. If all goes well, the first two authors to be "showcased" will be Patrick Rothfuss and Richard Morgan. . .

Oh, before I forget, Robin Hobb got back to me regarding that new feature, and she told me that Dragon Keepers (her upcoming Rain Wilds novel) should be turned in before the end of the year. Which means that, if all goes according to plan, the book should hit the shelves in late 2009!

Speaking of new features, there is another project I have in mind, and which I'll try to sell to various authors. It's a shot in the dark as we speak, but if it works it could be quite fascinating. I'll keep you posted if there is any forward momentum, otherwise I will let it die a slow death. . .

That's about it for now.:-)

4 commentaires:

Todd said...

Wow, you don't mess around. Sounds like a bunch of very cool things in the works. Can't wait!

All them European girls must have motivated ya ;)

Anonymous said...

Pat needs to set up Riga as his central base of operations, then we'll get the Oprah of online Bloggers...unless Oprah blogs, which will ruin my point ;)

Patrick said...

I'd love nothing more than to move my headquarters to Riga. But if I do that, I reckon my productivity will diminish by a vast margin. Too many distractions, you know!;-)

Anonymous said...

Hahahah,

;)