New James Barclay interview

There's a very interesting Q&A with fantasy author James Barclay over at Falcata Times. Here's an extract:

How would you say that your perspective has changed about selling your own work with multiple novels under your belt?

It’s funny because my immediate reaction was to assume that I was more relaxed but that isn’t the case. When Dawnthief was published there was massive excitement and plenty of hope. Ten books later, I have a little less excitement and a whole lot more expectation. I have developed a fairly accurate gut feel about how well a book will do as well. That’s both a blessing and a curse, I find.

Then there’s the internet and marketing. It’s completely exploded in the last ten years and authors need to be aware of the sheer number of forums, blogs, review sites and stores there are out there. Selling a novel is a global (or certainly trans-Atlantic) operation from day one. Authors need to be able to respond to the live nature of the internet so it isn’t just doing the interviews and writing blog posts on their own websites. Being available for live podcast, forum chats and there to respond on individual forum threads... all of this and much more is part of the author’s job. This is not a complaint, by the way. I absolutely love it.

With Chronicles of the Raven (Dawnthief (Canada, USA, Europe, Noonshade (Canada, USA, Europe), and Nightchild (Canada, USA, Europe)) now published in the USA by Pyr, you might hear more and more about James Barclay. . .

5 commentaires:

Scho said...

And ideas are abound in the virtual world.

Rhett said...

I agree the internet has made the world a smaller place. Just to be able to connect with people half way around the world has made even a business structure more flexible. I can have employees that live on the other side of the world and still get a great product made because of the internet, online meetings etc.

Gaarheid said...

Loved the raven, good battle scenes
The next series though tough to get in.

Unknown said...

Hello Pat, we all love your blog :) I also have a fantasy book blog, do you wnat to swamp links? check out mine at www.reviewmyfantasy.blogspot.com and let me know if you agree, I will add your link to my blogroll.

Anonymous said...

Try The Ascendants of Estorea imported this last year fantastic work