The Story Behind TRICKSTER


The folks at upcoming4.me have posted Jeff Somers' story behind the production of Trickster, the opening chapter of The Ustari Cycle. The book was in my provisional Top 5 of 2013, so you might want to check it out! For more info about this title: Canada, USA, Europe.

Here's a teaser:

I married this central image with an idea that is always lurking around the edges of my fiction: That there must be a price. I’m tired and have been tired for decades of The One or The Hero who is given some incredibly magical power and pays no price for it. They wave their hands and Pow! Something happens and they wander away to make a sandwich or something. Every action requires the expenditure of force, of energy. If you’re going to blow stuff up with your mind, you should be paying a price for that. Otherwise it’s just fantasy – not in the good Tolkien kind of way, but in the lazy, gee-whiz I wish I could blow stuff up with my mind kind of way.

That’s when the story got bloody. 

Once I decided the main character had to bleed for every spell he cast, that the more powerful the magic the weaker and closer to death he became – it took off. At least, I think I did.

Follow this link to read Somers' piece.

0 commentaires: