Most underrated cities in the world


Reading the Lonely Planet's The Travel Book: A Journey Through Every Country in the World (Canada, USA, Europe) and the Lonely Planet's The Cities Book: A Journey Through the Best Cities in the World (Canada, USA, Europe) inspired me to come up with my own Top 10 cities in the world.

Invariably, such short lists always include the usual suspects like Paris and NYC. But there are countless cities, towns, and regions around this great big world that deserve kudos but rarely get them.

So here are my picks for most underrated and underappreciated cities or regions I've visited. In no particular order:

- Wroclaw, Poland
- Strasbourg, France
- Québec City, Canada
- Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Bratislava, Slovakia
- Tallinn, Estonia
- Copenhagen, Denmark
- Lisbon, Portugal
- Belgrade, Serbia
- Ljubljana, Slovenia
- Split, Croatia
- Ko Lanta, Thailand
- Mostar, Bosnia & Herzegovina
- Tanah Rata and the rest of the Cameron Highlands, Malaysia
- Bled, Slovenia
- Singapore, Singapore
- Sarajevo, Bosnia & Herzegovina
- Langkawi, Malaysia
- Meteora, Greece
- Cordoba, Spain

Go ahead and visit any of these places and you'll love it! =)

8 commentaires:

Aidan Moher said...

Glad to see Bratislava, Ljubljana and Split on your list. Wonderful cities, each for their own special reason.

Skip said...

Bratislava's interesting, because if you go up to the fortress on the hill and look out, on one side of the river you have a beautiful old-world European town, and just across the river you have acre after acre of big concrete-block rundown housing. The contrast is very striking.

right_geek said...

As a citizen of Wroclaw, I whole-heartedly thank you for mentioning my beautiful city.

And I must say from experience that with a right guide foreigners coming to our town are charmed and say Wroclaw is even superior to such famous Polish cities as Warsaw or Cracow.

Juhan said...

Glad to see Tallinn on that list!

BStearns said...

Wow, I can honestly say I have been to none of those places. Sigh...added to the long list of places I need to visit.

Tomáš Dudáš said...

As a Slovak, I am glad to see Bratislava on your list :-)

Anonymous said...

Stockholm in Sweden should be on that list. Beautiful city!

Clockwork Taltos said...

Very nice selection of cities, I used to live near Cordoba and that whole region is beautiful.