Top 10 cities in the world


Having loved the Lonely Planet's The Travel Book: A Journey Through Every Country in the World (Canada, USA, Europe), I am savoring the equally amazing the Lonely Planet's The Cities Book: A Journey Through the Best Cities in the World (Canada, USA, Europe).

The book came to life when readers were asked to list their favorite cities on the Lonely Planet website a few years back. Along with those travelers' picks, the Lonely Planet staff and authors added their two cents, and voilà! Another traveling bible that should be in any globetrotter or dreamer's collection of coffee table books!

And since everyone is always asking about my favorite places around the globe, here are my picks. This list is bound to change every time I catch a flight somewhere, of course. I wouldn't be surprised if cities such as Sydney, Melbourne, Moscow, Cape Town, Buenos Aires, Rio de Janeiro, Tokyo, and many others found their way on a future list of favorites of mine. But as things stand, this is my Top 10.

Favorite cities in the world

1- Paris, France
2- New York City, USA
3- Prague, the Czech Republic
4- Berlin, Germany
5- London, England
6- Rome, Italy
7- Krakow, Poland
8- Amsterdam, the Netherlands
9- Riga, Latvia
10- Montréal, Canada

Honorable mentions go to:

- San Francisco, USA
- Munich, Germany
- The Interlaken region, Switzerland
- Florence, Italy
- Vienna, Austria
- Seville, Spain
- Salzburg, Austria
- Budapest, Hungary

And many more! Perhaps I should come up with a list of underdogs: The most underappreciated jewels that deserve more attention. . .

11 commentaires:

Anonymous said...

wow, a lot of Europe in your list...

Parao said...

Haven't you seen Barcelona? ;)

BStearns said...

So cool. Sydney is a beautiful city, so if you ever make it there I'm sure it will find it's way to your top ten.

Szymon said...

Greetings from Krakow, Poland! I'm thrilled it made it onto your list! :D

Anonymous said...

Seriously, Paris? Besides the scenery and the Turkish Kebab, everything else in that city was a disappointment.

J.A said...

Barcelona is usually on the top 10

Mimouille said...

@Pat : Yeah Paris ! Most beautiful city in the world...not the best to live in my opinion. I agree on Berlin, New York and Montreal. I would definitely add Tokyo and Rio...

@anonymous : "Besides the scenery and the Turkish Kebab". Paris is the culinary capital of the world...

Anonymous said...

@Mimouille

When I was there, I could only find crappy tourist food. I'm sure that if I knew where to go, I would think differently. But, as I stated earlier, the only really good food I had was kebab.

Patrick said...

Mea Culpa: I haven't been to Barcelona yet. =(

I traveled around Spain in June of 2003, starting in Madrid. You may recall that the war in Iraq had begun and the Spanish government, though the population was opposed to it, supported Bush. Speaking English, with no Canadian flag on my backpack (the only time I made that mistake), naturally everyone thought I was American.

Having heard so much about Spanish hospitality, were were shocked by the way we were treated everywhere but the Coasta Del Sol. Sadly, we were treated like shit basically everywhere.

We were supposed to double back after doing a loop around the country and head out to the east coast to visit Barcelona, Valencia, and Ibiza. But we crossed over to Portugal instead, where everyone was incredibly nice and helpful.

I've been meaning to go back and do the east coast, but it hasn't happened yet...

Anonymous: If the best thing you found to eat in Paris were Turkish kebabs, then I'm speechless. WTF!?! There are thousands of restaurants everywhere. Surely the staff at your hotel/hostel/B&B could have recommended something in whatever price range you were looking for...

Honeymoon bed breakfast said...

All these are good which are mentioned by you especially Paris which is one of the most fascinating and a romantic city in Europe which is also called “The City of Light”. Tourist visits every year in this wonderful city in a huge numbers because of its outstanding architecture and historical places etc.
It is the ideal destination for holiday vacation I truly love especially Eiffel Tower and Montmartre Hill.

Anonymous said...

ummm, excuse me? i agree with paris, but youve got WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too much europe. what about the land down under??? SYDNEY SHOULD BE AT LEAST NUMBER 3- like it says in the book. have you been here in sydney, because if not, youre missing out on the best city of the best country in the world, and i have also gotta say that new zealand is up there too, its got heaps of adventurous touristy things to do, plus the accents are cool.
Anyway-change your list and make paris(france), sydney(australia) and queenstown(new zealand) your top 3