The Clone Wars


Last summer, I was proud to have managed to resist the temptation to pay good money and go see this flick on the big screen. Like many long-time fans, I sort of had it with Star Wars, thanks to the prequels. So I was reticent to pay 10$ for an animated feature.

As a 2-for-1 DVD rental, however, it proved to be a fun and entertaining movie. Lots of action, but the story arc was a bit on the thin side. And yet, though the overall feeling is at times corny and juvenile, and though they have borrowed heavily on all six films, I ended up enjoying The Clone Wars a lot more than Attack of the Clones.

I haven't been paying any attention to the TV series, so I have no idea if they have build up on the events and characters contained in this animated feature. But if they keep up the great picture and sound quality, then it's bound to be good. At least to a certain extent. . .

Anakin's new Padawan, Ahsoka Tano, is a clichéd but endearing character. If they could just get rid of the one-liners, she could end up as a decent character. The most intriguing new addition, for me at least, was the pseudo-Darth Maul Asajj Ventress.

Who knows, I might end up watching a few episodes of the TV series just for the heck of it! Anyone knows on which channels it's playing in Canada???

For more info about this one: Canada, USA, Europe

10 commentaires:

Unknown said...

I haven't seen this yet but Asajj Ventress is a character that was in the first Clone Wars cartoon, as well as some of the Clone Wars graphic novels and books.

I think that she makes a great villain and would have been an excellent addition to the actual prequels.

Anonymous said...

It's on the Cartoon Network in the US, but I'm not sure what it's on in Canada. Do you guys get the Cartoon Network? If so, check it out.

Anonymous said...

I think I've seen it on Cartoon, CTV and Space, but I could be wrong on one of those...

Unfortunately, they don't have the jedi doing incredible things as they did in the Clone Wars animated web-series. For example, a jedi master in a space-pod thingy was being shot at by droids from 7 feet away, and pushed a clone trooper towards them so the trooper could shoot them. In the webseries he would've crushed them all barehanded or thrown his lightsaber or some such. The awesomeness factor just isn't there...

Anonymous said...

The true awesomeness is in Genndy Tartakovsky's Clone Wars. My particular favourites being the Mace Windu episodes. Unfortunately he was nowhere near as badass in the films - not the badass mofo Sam L Jackson usually is - and dies by being pushed out of a window...

For anyone that's missed out on the epic and downright cool animation that Genndy Tartakovsky and his team are capable of - see Samurai Jack and The Clone Wars.

Watch that and try not to cry at how useless Mace Windu and generally all the Jedi/Sith are in the films!

Anonymous said...

I've only caught one Clone Wars tv episode so far, just recently, and I was pleasantly impressed. I may have to work a little harder at seeing more of them.

Anonymous said...

Probably Space or Teletoon.

Anonymous said...

I've seen them all and enjoy them greatly. I was however a little disappointed with the last one which featured Jar Jar Binks. Not because of the Jar Jar style of humor, but because it was so slow. I don't know about Candada, but at least in the US this friday at 9:30 they're showing the "Malevolence Saga" which was a three-part story spanning episodes 2-4.

Anonymous said...

There is a set of Star Wars novels that also tie into the Clone Wars catoon movie and series.

Karen Traviss wrote the novelization of the animated movie and will do another book in the series. Also Karen Miller (Innocent Mage) will be writing 3 of them. Miller's book comes out in early December.

The books do not serialize the cartoon episodes but fill in more of the overall storyline taking the episodes of the cartoon series into account.

I haven't read any novels set in the Star Wars universe in a very long time, but I'm probably going to give these a read. I've always been interested in the Clone Wars era of the Star Wars universe and since I'm a fan of Karen Miller's books that's an incentive to give them a read.

Anonymous said...

Lol.
Very sad pat.

Spherical Time said...

I loved Karen Traviss' Wess'har saga and so I bought the book.

You could see how she'd tried to turn a bad script into a better book, but it still made me reconsider seeing the movie.