Win a copy of the limited edition of Dan Simmons' THE TERROR


Thanks to the generosity of the folks at Subterranean Press, I have a copy of the limited edition of Dan Simmons' The Terror up for grabs! This book finished number 6 in my Top 10 of 2007, so it comes highly recommended if you haven't read it yet. For more info about this title, check out the Subpress website.

Here's the blurb:

In the spring of 1845, Sir John Franklin leads a company of two ships and 130 men on a hazardous voyage to the remote, uncharted Arctic. His goal: to locate and map the legendary Northwest Passage. Two years later, the expedition, which began in a spirit of optimism and high purpose, faces disaster. Franklin is dead. The two ships -- the Erebus and the Terror -- are hopelessly trapped by gigantic, shifting ice floes. Supplies are dwindling, and the crews struggle daily against lethal, unimaginably frigid conditions. And something -- some Thing -- is stalking the survivors, spreading death, suffering, and chaos in its remorseless wake.

The Terror is both a rigorously researched historical novel and a compelling homage to one of the seminal SF/Horror films of the 1950s. It is popular fiction of the highest order, the kind of intense, wholly absorbing epic only Dan Simmons could have written.

The rules are the same as usual. You need to send an email at reviews@(no-spam)gryphonwood.net with the header "TERROR." Remember to remove the "no spam" thingy.

Second, your email must contain your full mailing address (that's snail mail!), otherwise your message will be deleted.

Lastly, multiple entries will disqualify whoever sends them. And please include your screen name and the message boards that you frequent using it, if you do hang out on a particular MB.

Good luck to all the participants!

8 commentaires:

Thomas said...

China Miéville trashed this for supposed homophobia. Oh, and a lame monster, I think. In an interview with Jeff Vandermeer.

Thomas said...

I'm not taking sides. I felt myself unsure about it and I'm now hesitant as to buying or not buying Dan Simmons stuff. It's also often hard to see what's REALLY behind a Miéville-trashing, or praise likewise... Whatever.

Matthieu Csernel said...

I loved this book.
I have a keen edge for adventure/climbing books and especially like a read like The last place on Earth (about the course to the South Pole).
The terror achieved to bring together that kind of exploration books with Lovecraft.
One of my favourite book!

Todd said...

Awesome! Kick-ass contest. I'm definitely throwing my name in the for this one. Thanks Patrick!

Bridget said...

Just posted on Win a Book. Good luck everyone!

Anonymous said...

I already own the book, so I won't be entering. Just wanted to say I really like the cover for this version! Looks good.

ediFanoB said...

I own a copy of Terror. I read it and loved it. Awesome book! You should read it in summer when it is really hot. If you read it in winter you should prepare a barrel of tea. It is cold, cold, cold....

And I won't take part. One copy of a book is enough.

Luis said...

An incredible book! I have the softcover version which has a nother cover than the one shown here. I have not read China Mieville interview, but I don't recall any homophobia and the monster was NOT lame. Just not the "abominable snowman" that many expected.