Quote of the Day

An intellectual is usually someone who isn't exactly distinguished by his intellect. He claims that label to compensate for his inadequacies. It's as old as that saying: Tell me what you boast of and I'll tell you what you lack. Our daily bread. The incompentent always present themselves as experts, the cruel as pious, sinners as devout, usurers as benefactors, the small-minded as the patriots, the arrogant as the humble, the vulgar as elegant, and the feeble-minded as intellectual.

Ah, intellectuals. And you wanted me to sign one up. Why is it that the less one has to say the more one says it in the most pompous and pedantic way possible? Is it to fool the world or just to fool themselves?

- CARLOS RUIZ ZAFÓN, The Angel's Game (Canada, USA, Europe)

With these two quotes, I think the author managed to perfectly articulate my opinion of a vast majority of intellectuals. And they brought to mind one of our favorite wankers. . .

8 commentaires:

SciFiGuy said...

LOL Patrick I love it when you're being snarky.

Aidan Moher said...

The Angel's Game is chock full of fantastic quotes!

~Aidan
A Dribble of Ink

Larry said...

What chapter is that in? I'd like to check that against the original, if you don't mind looking it up for me.

bascule said...

I'm glad you're reading it, I can't wait to hear what you think. Especially one aspect of the end of the story which has really got my head spinning.

TheDude said...

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that you're refering to M J Harrison, also one of my favourite wankers.

And by "favourite" I mean that I hope he gets mauled by lions.

Patrick said...

Larry:

The first quote can be found in chapter 8 (page 203 of the Canadian edition).

The second quote can be found in chapter 12 (page 227 of the Canadian edition).

Larry Nolen said...

Thanks! I'll compare those to the original Spanish later.

Larry Nolen said...

OK, having read the first quote, considering it's Correlli who's the speaker, the irony is just a bit much :P