Quote of the day

Break out the parka: Canada is the world's coldest country, with a frosty average temperature of -5.6°C. Ottawa is the second-chilliest national capital after Ulaanbaatar in Mongolia.

- LONELY PLANET'S Best in Travel 2009: 850 Trends, Destinations, Journeys & Experiences for the Year Ahead (Canada, USA, Europe)

Interestingly enough, Lonely Planet selected Canada has one of its top 10 countries to visit in 2009. Which reminds me that I need to start writing those posts on Montréal to encourage SFF fans to come here in droves for the Worldcon next summer. . .

By the way, -5.6°C is nothing. That's a beautiful winter day up here. Unlike today, with -30°C with the windchill, now that's cold! The average for late December is about -10°C to -12°C. . .

5 commentaires:

Anonymous said...

That's cold.
This winter -7 was the coldest we had in Warsaw (at night). I think coldest temperature in my life was -27 at night and around -15 during day.
It's strange to think you live so much further South then me.

Patrick said...

Ah, just one more reason for me to consider moving to Poland!!!:P

ediFanoB said...

I live near Frankfurt on the Main. This week we had in the night between -5 and -7. During the day it was mostly zero degrees.

I know that is nothing compared to Canada.

Anonymous said...

Your winters are scary. One forgets how much warmer Europe is. It hits me only sometimes when I realise that you live on about the same latitude as Venetians but have winter befitting Moscow (or maybe even colder).

Unknown said...

We have been rocking about -30 for two weeks here in Edmonton (and it was even worse when I went home to Saskatoon). It's a dry cold though...

I was reading about Norway and realized that even some of their cities that are above the arctic circle do not get as cold as Mid-Alberta/Saskatchewan.

Also I think the the temperature difference is notable as well - it's common to hit -35 in the winter and +30 in the summer. One day last April, in Saskatoon, we had a 40°C swing in 48 hours.