Are you a "color blind" reader?

David Anthony Durham, author of Acacia and Pride of Carthage, just wrote a fascinating post on his blog.

Here's a teaser:

On race issues people often "unwittingly" say things in denying racial concerns that actually prove how valid those concerns actually are. The "color blind" thing... Okay, before I say much let me make it clear that when I talk about this issue I'm not out to make any personal attacks. I'm just offering a perspective informed by a lifetime of inhabiting the skin I do. It's about asking folks to consider that they might not have all the answers - and that they might not have thought the entire thing through as much as they think.

To read the rest, click on this link.

It should make you think. . .

3 commentaires:

Unknown said...

definitely an interesting read...

Aidan Moher said...

A great read. David's reflections on the industry, especially about his unique position of being a black writer in the Fantasy genre, are always worth taking note of.

It's interesting to see how much the perception of race differs just between Canada and the USA. You can be sure I'll be following the comments on that post to see the reactions from everyone!

~Aidan
A Dribble of Ink

Anonymous said...

I was privileged to meet David Anthony Durham at San Diego Comic-Con last month. He was such a nice guy and I regretted not being able to talk to him at greater length. He also signed his book for me, which is next on my list to read.

Truthfully, I had no idea he was black. (I'm not trying to be color blind here).

Now that I realize he is, I respect him even more.