SPECULATIVE HORIZONS: Update


I know it's been a while since the last update, but that's the way love goes! But things are really coming down on the anthology front! And I'm getting a bit excited!

The book is in production as we speak. The signature sheets have been making the round of authors since I was in Southeast Asia, and I figure they should end up in my mailbox in the near future. I didn't know that the limited edition of Speculative Horizons would bear my autograph!

As you can see, artist J. K. Potter put together this cover for the anthology. This may or may not be the final version, but the folks at Subterranean Press granted me permission to post it along with this update! I really like the sunset and the blue smoke. I wasn't certain about the face, but the overall effect of the cover has been growing on me since last week. And the most important element: My name on the cover! I have to admit that it's absurdly cool to see this for the first time in my life!:P

There should be more updates as we get closer and closer to the pre-order page going up on the Subpress website. So stay tuned for more!

On the charity front, as you know I wanted a part of the proceeds to go to Breast Cancer research when I accepted this gig. Hence, 10% of the cover price from each copy sold during the first week of pre-orders will be donated to this worthy cause.

The Speculative Horizons anthology will be comprised of these short stories:

- "Soul Mate" by C. S. Friedman
- "The Stranger" by L. E. Modesitt, jr.
- "The Eve of the Fall of Habesh" by Tobias S. Buckell
- "Flint" by Brian Ruckley
- "The Death of a Love" by Hal Duncan

Things are definitely moving along now. . . More to come soon!=)

14 commentaires:

Anonymous said...

Congrats, Pat!!! Wow.

logankstewart said...

Congratulations. The cover reminds me of Firefly or Serenity for some reason, which is definitely a good thing.

Peat said...

Just found out about this from CS Friedman's fb page (I am a fan). Congrats on this. Looks like a great collection of authors, and we all know that Subterranean Press is awesome.

Larry Nolen said...

Why am I thinking of the woman from the remake of V when I see that face? :P

When's the release date? Before or after May?

Anonymous said...

Congrats, keep up the good work.

Todd said...

Too cool Patrick! Congrats on this. That cover really is pretty sweet also. I didn't realize you had this coming out, so I was excited to see this.

Jebus said...

Drop the face, the rest looks cool.

Simeon said...

Heh, glad to hear it's moving along. I'll be getting it for Hal Duncan's story. The cover is horrible btw ^_^

Anonymous said...

As much as I hate to do it, I have to agree with Roland there. That cover is awful. Kind of a, throw everything at it and hope something good sticks cover.
Ah well, I'd have a picture of a steaming turd on the cover and be happy to see my name attached to a published book. :)

Congrats on this and I hope it sells real well.

Ramah.

Chris said...

Congrats, Pat! Though not a fan of the face either. :S

lowkey said...

Not a huge fan of the cover or the fact Hal Duncan is included, however I will most likely buy this collection. Thanks for all the hard work involved with putting it together.

Aaron said...

That's a hermaphroditic face if I have ever seen one. The cover is kinda meh but the content looks OK.

Anonymous said...

I'd really urge a rethink of the cover. Not sure why there was such a literal take on the Horizons, and the lens flare is cliche and awful.

Bryce L. said...

At first I thought, what does this have to do with James Long?

Looks awesome, Pat, keep up the good work. Live the dream. :)