Essay by Guy Gavriel Kay

Kay wrote an essay on the seven years it took him to make Under Heaven ( Canada, USA, Europe) a reality. Here an extract:

It actually feels strange to do the math, but I've been living with Under Heaven for over seven years now. Makes it harder, and more complex, to have it finally being published, no longer just 'mine' but out there in the world.

In 2003, around when I was finishing my tour for Last Light of the Sun, I started doing some reading about the Silk Road. I thought there might be a book for me in this, I saw it as a way of sneaking up on China, so to speak. I could use outsider characters to enter an eastern setting, to serve as 'windows' for the reader.

So I made the decision to explore this for my next book, and then my wife and I made another decision: we decided that it was a good year for us to live abroad again, with our sons, back in the south of France where we'd been before on writing trips, but not for a decade.

Follow this link to read the entire essay.

0 commentaires: