Win a year's worth of speculative fiction books!


With the huge amount of books I receive every month, I'm running out of space to store them in my apartment. So spring cleaning means that I need to make room for what I wish to keep in my permanent collection and what's likely to come my way during the rest of the year. As I did a few years back, I'm giving away a prize pack of more than fifty SFF titles.

The Catch: Read this: Before your mouth waters at the thought of winning all those books, please bear in mind that I can't pay for postage. If you don't live in the Greater Montreal Area or if you don't live within driving distance, you'd have to pay for the shipping charges. So do the math, for I can't afford to pay for shipping. If you live in Australia, it will likely cost you a couple of hundreds of dollars. . . Please understand this before registering.

The prize pack includes recent and not-so-recent titles, as well as books that are not even out yet. I tried to come up with a good mix of genres and sub-genres.

ARC: Advance Reading Copy
HC: Hard Cover
TPB: Trade Paperback
PB: Mass Market Paperback

The prize pack:

- Steven Erikson's Dust of Dream [US TPB] (Canada, USA, Europe)
- J. V. Jones' Watcher of the Dead [US ARC]
- Peter V. Brett's The Desert Spear [US ARC] (Canada, USA, Europe)
- Connie Willis' Blackout [US HC] (Canada, USA, Europe)
- Ari Marmell's Conqueror's Shadow [US HC]
- L. E. Modesitt, jr.'s Arms-Commander [US ARC] (Canada, USA, Europe)
- Ian Cameron Esslemont's Return of the Crimson Guard [US ARC] (Canada, USA, Europe)
- Tom Lloyd's The Stormcaller [US TPB] (Canada, USA, Europe)
- Tom Lloyd's The Twilight Herald [US TPB] (Canada, USA, Europe)
- Tom Lloyd's The Grave Thief [US TPB] (Canada, USA, Europe)
- Max Frei's The Stranger [US HC] (Canada, USA, Europe)
- James Barclay's Dawnthief [US TPB] (Canada, USA, Europe)
- James Barclay's Noonshade [US TPB] (Canada, USA, Europe)
- James Barclay's Nightchild [US TPB] (Canada, USA, Europe)
- Paul McAuley's The Quiet War [US TPB] (Canada, USA, Europe)
- Paul McAuley's Gardens of the Sun [US TPB]
- Tom Holt's Blonde Bombshell [US ARC]
- Robert McCammon's Mister Slaughter [US ARC]
- Alexey Pehov's Shadow Prowler [US ARC] (Canada, USA, Europe)
- S. A. Swann's Wolfbreed [US TPB] (Canada, USA, Europe)
- William Horwood's Hyddenworld: Spring [UK HC]
- Gail Z. Martin's The Summoner [US/UK PB] (Canada, USA, Europe)
- Gail Z. Martin's The Blood King [US/UK PB] (Canada, USA, Europe)
- Gail Z. Martin's Dark Haven [US/UK PB] (Canada, USA, Europe)
- Gail Z. Martin's Dark Lady's Chosen [US/UK PB] (Canada, USA, Europe)
- Justina Robson's Living Next Door to the God of Love [US TPB]
- Catherynne M. Valente's In the Night Garden [US TPB]
- Kate Griffin's A Madness of Angels [UK ARC]
- Kate Griffin's The Midnight Mayor [US HC]
- Matthew Sturges' Midwinter [US TPB] (Canada, USA, Europe)
- Matthew Sturges' The Office of Shadow [US ARC]
- John Scalzi's The Android's Dream [US HC]
- David Gunn's Death's Head [UK HC]
- David Gunn's Death's Head: Maximum Offense [US HC]
- David Gunn's Death's Head: Day of the Damned [US HC]
- K. J. Parker's Devices and Desires [UK PB] (Canada, USA, Europe)
- K. J. Parker's Evil for Evil [UK TPB] (Canada, USA, Europe)
- Ian McDonald's Brasyl [US ARC] (Canada, USA, Europe)
- Ian McDonald's Cyberabad Days [US ARC] (Canada, USA, Europe)
- Josh Conviser's Empyre [US TPB]
- J. R. R. Tolkien's The Children of Húrin [US HC] (Canada, USA, Europe)
- Mark J. Ferrari's The Book of Joby [US TPB]
- John Twelve Hawks' The Dark River [US HC] (Canada, USA, Europe)
- John Twelve Hawks' The Golden City [US HC] (Canada, USA, Europe)
- Chris Wooding's Retribution Falls [UK ARC] (Canada, USA, Europe)
- Jay Lake's Mainspring [US HC] (Canada, USA, Europe)
- Jay Lake's Escapement [US HC] (Canada, USA, Europe)
- Jay Lake's The Sky That Wraps [US ARC]
- Ricardo Pinto's The Chosen [UK PB] (Canada, USA, Europe)
- Ricardo Pinto's The Standing Dead [UK PB] (Canada, USA, Europe)
- Ricardo Pinto's The Third God [UK HC] (Canada, USA, Europe)
- Chris Evans' A Darkness Forged in Fire [US ARC] (Canada, USA, Europe)
- Robert V. S. Redick's The Red Wolf Conspiracy [UK ARC] (Canada, USA, Europe)
- Charlie Huston's The Mystic Arts of Erasing All Signs of Death [US HC] Canada, USA, Europe
- Elizabeth Bear's Chill [US PB]
- Helen Oyeyemi's White is for Witching [UK PB]
- Karen Miller's Star Wars: Clone Wars Gambit: Stealth [US ARC]
- Mark Charan Newton's Nights of Villjamur [US ARC] (Canada, USA, Europe)

This should keep whoever wins out of trouble for a little while. . .:P As was the case the last time we did this, more surprise titles will be added to the mix as I receive them between now and the random draw which will select the winner.

The rules are the same as usual. You need to send an email at reviews@(no-spam)gryphonwood.net with the header "JACKPOT 2010." Remember to remove the "no spam" thingy.

Second, your email must contain your full mailing address (that's snail mail!), otherwise your message will be deleted.

Lastly, multiple entries will disqualify whoever sends them. And please include your screen name and the message boards that you frequent using it, if you do hang out on a particular MB.

Good luck to all the participants!

20 commentaires:

YzhaBella's BookShelf said...

WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW!.....'nuff said! =)

martingriffy said...

Hi Pat, I just sent over my address.
Was I meant to say something as well though?...like, a story or something?

Phillip H. Tang said...

I'm so jealous. How do you get so many books sent to you?

Kaimi said...

Wow.

Quick question: Is it an illegal multiple entry if both my wife and I (same address) enter?

I'm not just using her as a puppet, she definitely reads sci-fi and fantasy novels (though she doesn't usually read blogs about them).

Martin Keamy said...

Damn Pat, ever thought about eBay? Not that I'm complaining ;)

Larry Nolen said...

Although I haven't done this, I've seen where others have set up a PayPal account and have bought individual books from reviewers/authors similar to the Amazon Marketplace, minus the middle man. Ever thought about doing that, so you could get not just a bit more money for yourself, but would also allow the reader(s) to purchase only the book(s) that they want?

P.S. I'm amused that the verification code for posting this was "topless" :P

Patrick said...

Martingriffy: Nope, just your contact details.

Phillip: I receive about 500 books a year, so I can afford to be generous.=)

Kaimi: No worries. As long as the email addresses don't belong to the same person.

Martin and Larry: It wouldn't be fair to sell them, since I got them for free to begin with. Moreover, the authors wouldn't get any royalties, which is not cool. Plus, I'm too lazy to package each sale and haul my ass to the post office to mail them. It's much easier this way!;-)

Anonymous said...

Hmm - tempting since I'll be in Montreal in May and could pick them up if I won - but I'm not sure they'd fit in my luggage :)

Todd said...

If I enter and win can you just scan them all, convert them, and email them to me?

Lol kidding, but I'll definitely be sitting this contest out, or I'd be doing some major spring cleaning of my own.

But wow, what a prize pack! You're one generous guy.

Larry Nolen said...

I think the last part is the main reason why you won't do it, Pat ;) I personally just trade in the street releases (never the galley proofs) of unsolicited books if I know I'm never going to read them. Never for cash, though, so I can understand why you feel hesitant about the cash part. But it is odd, paying a largish sum of money for winning a contest :P

RaveAir said...

It would have been much better if you split this huge pack to smaller packages...

Anyway, thanks for generosity!

Blodeuedd said...

wow, perhaps I should just move to Montreal

Fran Terminiello said...

damn, why don't you live in the UK!?

Anonymous said...

Wow That's an amazing prize

martingriffy said...

Thanks for clearing that up Pat.
All the best.

Doug said...

'Tis a rare soul that chooses integrity over profit. Kudos Patrick

Chris V said...

Can't believe the enormous list of books you posted.
My mail has just been send of course, let us hope for the best!

gr, Chris

Michael Cummings said...

Pat,

Is there a rough weight (or did I miss it?). Just trying to guess at postage before throwing my hat in the ring. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Why are we calling it Speculative Fiction? Can't we just embrace the nerdyness and say Sci Fi/Fantasy?

Unknown said...

When will we find out who the lucky soul who won this is? Curiosity is killing me :)