Failure to Launch: A CRUEL WIND by Glen Cook

After 218 pages, I finally gave up on this book. . .

Getting through the first volume, A Shadow of All Night Falling, took every shred of self-control I could muster. Sadly, the second installment, October's Baby didn't do it for me, either. I wasn't feeling it at all. . .

These books are a world away from the Black Company books. Rarely has a work left me so indifferent. I was bored out of my mind and I couldn't care less. The plot is pretty much linear, the characterization leaves a lot to be desired, and the execution is a little flat.

I was hoping that the Dread Empire books would be as fun and interesting as the Black Company saga. Alas, based on A Cruel Wind (Canada, USA, Europe), Glen Cook's earlier novels are probably not for me. . .

But since I figure that someone else might enjoy them, I'll throw in all the Dread Empire stuff I own in the Jackpot giveaway.=)

6 commentaires:

Tristin said...

I felt the same way, Pat. You should check out his SciFi novels. They are much more Black Company.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the club of "unssatisfied readers around the world". There was a lot of poor comments about "The cruel wind" and you seem to feel the same. For me, I had bad experiments lately:
Brasyl (Ian Mc Donald) 50 pages before stopping.
Cardinal's blade (Pierre Pevel) an hero had to pay his rent around page 110 and I gave up. I don' t want to read heroes paying their rent, cable, electricity or anything else in any book, never.
Shutter island (Dennis Lehane) no fantasy here, but a very boring book, take the boat, it rains, they walk the land, throw deductions i don't care, remember their past and talk to dead wife in their sleep, it's a polar, and I prefer Stieg Larsson for a polar !
Fortunately I discovered THE book of the year in " GAGNER LA GUERRE" by Jean-Philippe Jaworski, but helas for you all , it's in French ! ;-)
Mormegilmarseille

Pierre Normand said...

Speaking of the Jackpot giveaway, when do you plan on announcing the winner?

Anonymous said...

I'm actually glad to hear this. A Cruel Wind was my first and last Glen Cook experience, precisely because it was such a drag to get through. I may try the Black Company novels now.

Kulamata said...

I find the early Glen Cook pretty spotty. I thought that "The Dragon Never Sleeps" was unusual, and I enjoyed it exceptionally. Memorable still after a couple of years. Quite the Night Shade find.

"Passage of Arms" is a takeoff on submarine warfare, unusual. More recently, the Garrett P.I. books (all with metal in the titles, e.g. "Sweet Silver Blues")were deservedly popular, especially the earlier ones in the series. More recently, the "Tyranny of the Night" series (awaiting completion, sigh) is a real heavyweight.

He's best known for the Black Company novels, which are not my favorites. A bit bleak for me. Cruel Wind, etc. struck me as being early, before Mr. Cook had found his voice. He's one author that I more or less automatically buy; variable, but I've never been truly disappointed.

CJohnson said...

Only book I've ever not finished reading, that I can clearly remember, is The Knight by Gene Wolfe. What a terrible book.

I think I'll steer clear of A Cruel Wind as well. The others are pretty good, but if you can't even finish it you know there's something seriously wrong with a book.