A DANCE WITH DRAGONS update

Just finished the book. . .

And I'm glad to report that it's a return to form for George R. R. Martin! A Dance With Dragons is pretty much what GRRM's legions of fans want it to be! However, the various cliffhangers and the lack of resolution at the end means that it couldn't trump A Clash of Kings for the number 2 spot in my favorites. Hence, ADWD ranks at a number 3, just a hair behind ACoK. ASoS is number 1, of course, with AGoT and AFfC bringing up the rear.

One thing's for sure: This one will generate A LOT of discussions!

Oh and Ser Patrek of King's Mountain met his maker in a rather violent and bloody fashion! Have to admit that it's cool to be immortalized in such a way, especially in what is probably the most spoiler-filled chapter of the book. No wonder Anne and GRRM wouldn't let me have that one as an extract!

Expect the unexpected; that's all I'm telling you. You thought you knew where this or that storyline was going? Trust me. . . You don't know shit! Say what you want about GRRM, few SFF authors can catch you by surprise and knock your socks off the way Martin can!

Will try to get my review up before the end of the weekend. . .

For more info about this title: Canada, USA, Europe

6 commentaires:

Anonymous said...

I hate George RR Martin. He is cruel man!

Anonymous said...

...a return to form for GRRM??? I disagree, he has never lost his form.

thiazyl

ito said...

I hear that part of ADWD has been photographed and uploaded online already. Supposedly from an early release that happened in Germany. The interwebs is crazy :)

Who wants to read it that way though? Why not just wait for Tuesday? It's almost tomorrow.

Martin Keamy said...

I agree Pat, 3>2>5>1>4

Loren Rosson III said...

Interesting rating, your 3>2>5>1>4. Entertainment Weekly has the same scheme, except with 1 and 2 juxtaposed:

3>1>5>2>4.

GoT and CoK are so close for me I really can't say which is better, so I find it interesting that Dance with Dragons is coming between them in different directions. If I end up enjoying Dance as much as I think I will, my scheme will probably be:

3>5>1 & 2>4.

Anonymous said...

I think he changed his mind on plot points that's why we didn't see what happened in the book coming. It was supposed to be 3 books and I think a lot of readers had it down pat. He changed it up after the length and delay of the books leading to all the speculation and correct guesses on plot points.